[Python-ideas] Statements vs Expressions... why?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Sep 15 03:35:45 CEST 2008

Cliff Wells wrote:

> Breve more or less a functional DSL that barely resembles Python but
> actually *is* Python (in fact, I've seen someone assert that Breve
> templates could not possibly be actual Python code).

If it looks that little like Python, I'd say it really
is a different language, and you have no right to expect
to be able to use the Python compiler as-is to process
it.

Rather than twisting Python to make it possible to
abuse it even further, you'd be better off writing a
Breve compiler in Python that produces Python code
(or maybe even translates it directly to Python
bytecode).

--
Greg