[Python-ideas] Optimistic Concurrency

Leif Walsh leif.walsh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 20:50:40 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> Out of my knowledge range.

Well, don't worry, it's mostly still out of mine as well.  Thinking
about the problem more, I can't come up with a reasonable way to do
the locking needed for that last bit of conflict resolution.  Maybe
someone else can.

> Near the bottom of the original article this thread is based on.
> Casual users requesting html forms, maybe submitting then, maybe not, with
> low collision rate, and ability to adjust to collisions.

I see that now, but wasn't the original post about removing the GIL?
That seems to imply that the users would be different threads in a
program, with high speed and possibly high collision rate.

If we are talking about users communicating over http, this seems like
something you'd write a program in python to do (like wikipedia says
Rails does), and it doesn't seem to merit discussion in the
development of python itself.

--
Cheers,
Leif