[Python-ideas] User forums

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Fri Oct 17 20:29:41 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 06:12:26PM +0000, Victor Martin Ulloa wrote:
> Why are we using a 90's mailing list? Why not a modern phpBB web forum?

   Sometimes... very often, actually... old things are better than new
things.
   The advantages of mailing list over a web forum:
-- a mailing list uses "push technology" - new messages arrived in my
   mailbox, and I can read them or archive them or do what I want; in a web
   forum I have to hunt for new messages, and don't have a way to archive
   selected messages;
-- I can read mailbox with whatever program I like; for a web forum full
   of broken HTML, crippled CSS and stupid Javascript I have to use one of
   those bloated web browsers;
-- most mailing lists these days are processed by The Python Mailing List
   Manager (mailman); using PHP-based software for a Python-related web
   forum would give users a wrong signal.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru