[Python-ideas] "While" suggestion

Chris Rebert cvrebert at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:14:57 CEST 2008

The alternate idiom I've seen for "do-while"-like loops such as this
in Python is (using the original example):

while True:
    data = my_file.read(1024)
    if not data: break
    do_something(data)

which seems perfectly acceptable and in keeping with TOOWTDI by
minimizing the number of loop constructs in the language.
It obviously avoids the distasteful duplication of "data = my_file.read(1024)".

- Chris