[Python-ideas] This seems like a wart to me...

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Dec 14 17:22:40 CET 2008

Whoa. I haven't wasted much time trying to follow this (IMO rather
silly) argument about consistency. We're not going to introduce
backwards incompatibilities or deprecate existing usage of str.split()
with or without arguments are we? A dropempty argument also seems
excessive -- we can't possibly add ad-hoc filtering options to every
function that returns a list or iterator, that would be madness. As
long as the discussion is just about giving regexps a bad name I don't
really care enough to comment; but I have to draw the line when actual
API changes are being considered seriously.