[Python-ideas] Decimal literal?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Dec 4 10:51:08 CET 2008

If decimals are to become built-in, there are a number of things that need to happen and one of them includes a C implementation,
not just for speed, but also to integrate with the parser and the rest of the language.

Last time I looked, the existing C implementations out there were license compatible with Python. Also, there are other integration
issues to solved, including that of contexts (which are an integral part of the spec).  None of this is a trivial exercise or I
would have already done it.   I do want to move decimal towards being a builtin but don't underestimate the difficulty of doing so.

Also, there are other API issues.  As it stands, the decimal module is not friendly to newbies and presents challenges even for
expert users. And don't underestimate the significance of performance -- it is a top reason that people currently avoid the decimal
module and it is an issue for the language itself (lots of companies avoid Python because of its speed disadvantage).

One other thought, decimal literals are likely  not very helpful in real programs. Most apps that have specific numeric
requirements, will have code that manipulates numbers read-in from external sources and written back out -- the scripts themselves
typically contain very few constants (and those are typically integers), so you don't get much help from a decimal literal.

Raymond Hettinger