[Python-ideas] A Wiki-style documentation with an approval process

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 02:17:50 CET 2008

Terry Reedy wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> C'mon, I bet you've let a typo or two slide because your brain was on
>> fire to finish your latest hack.  Haven't we all?  If the doc you were
>> reading was the wiki and a fix was a mouse click, two keystrokes, and
>> another mouse click away, you might fix it in that situation.
>
> 1. There are very few overt typos left in the docs.
> 2. Why would I use such an inferior version as a wiki version would be?
>
> Now, if someone wrote a Microsoft Help workalike program that also
> included an 'email corrections' feature, that would be something else.

I agree with what Stephen J. Turnbull said. The main point here is
"/making easy things easy/ and hard things possible".
There are a several changes in the doc that don't require a related
issue in the bug tracker and they would benefit from a wiki-like system
(typos are just an example). If a change requires a discussion we can
still use the bug tracker (and possibly edit the page directly at the
end of the process, without using patches if they are not necessary.)
This system is not intended as a replacement, but just an improvement of
what we already have.

Terry Reedy wrote:
> I suspect that the doc maintainers would spend as much time rewriting
> submissions as they do now and more time rejecting suggestions.
Among the Defer/Approve/Reject radio buttons that Stephen suggested we
can also add an "Open as a new issue" button. This can be used to
"redirect" on the bug tracker the suggestions that are valid but still
need some change.

--
Ezio Melotti