[Python-ideas] Monitor implementation for the stdlib?

Christopher D. Leary christopher.leary at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 22 04:02:27 CEST 2007

Though I do think that the with statement is an excellent addition to
the language (it avoids much of the ugliness and chance for error in
symmetric P and V), I don't believe that it adequately covers the use
case that monitors are intended for; namely, encapsulation and
abstraction of the mutual exclusion involved in locking around /several
data entities/ with /several defined functionalities/.

Due to how frequently this pattern is encountered, I think that monitors
not only reduce clutter with syntactic sugar (simplicity?), but help
encourage a more straightforward way of thinking -- several non
re-entrant operations on shared data implies monitor usage, not lock
acquisition all over the place.

Thoughts?

Chris