[Python-ideas] Python and Concurrency

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Mar 25 15:52:42 CEST 2007

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007, Talin wrote:

> Thinking more about this, it seems to me that discussions of syntax for
> doing parallel operations and nifty classes for synchronization are a
> bit premature. The real question, it seems to me, is how to get Python
> to operate concurrently at all.

Maybe that's what it seems to you; to others of us who have been looking
at this problem for a while, the real question is how to get a better
multi-process control and IPC library in Python, preferably one that is
cross-platform.  You can investigate that right now, and you don't even
need to discuss it with other people.

(Despite my oft-stated fondness for threading, I do recognize the
problems with threading, and if there were a way to make processes as
simple as threads from a programming standpoint, I'd be much more
willing to push processes.)

"Typing is cheap.  Thinking is expensive."  --Roy Smith