[Python-ideas] English builtins for Python

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Wed Jun 20 15:55:42 CEST 2007

Steve Howell schrieb:
> I somewhat tongue-in-cheekly propose to make the first
> seven most common English words all integral part of
> the Python language (three already are):
>
> source: http://www.world-english.org/english500.htm
>
> 1 the:
>     Singletons:
>
>     the class Logger:
>         # ...
>
> 2 of
>     inheritance:
>
>     class Square of Shape::
>         # pass

>     printing:
>
>     print('hello world') to sys.stdout
>
> 4 and
>     already a keyword
>
> 5 a
>     introspection:
>
>     if object is a dict:
>         # ...

is "a" the keyword or is it "is a"?

> 6 in
>     already a keyword
>
> 7 is
>     already a keyword
>
> Then it gets tougher:
>
>    8 it
>    9 you
>   10 that
>
> Top 500 words that are already
> keywords/builtins/conventions in Python:
>
>   27 or
>   49 each

each is a keyword? I don't think so. else is a keyword.

>   55 if
>  189 try
>  198 self

self is not a keyword, its a convention.

>  251 open

open is not a keyword, its a other name for the class "file".

>  254 next

next is not a keyword. its the name of a method of an iterator.
there are a lot of more methods in python which are single words.
why don't list them, too? ;)