[Python-ideas] PEP 3107 Function Annotations: interoperability (again)

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 20:24:47 CET 2007

On 1/1/07, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Until extensive usage happens with annotations we shouldn't try to shoehorn
> consumers of the annotations into a specific solution.  As you said,
> something will probably organically grow and that can be supported in
> another PEP later on (probably with stdlib support).

I agree that a convention will develop organically, but I would add
that the emergence of that convention will be governed by two things:
who has the bigger market share, and who's first to market. When the
first big project like Zope or Twisted announces that "we will do
annotation interop like so...", everyone else will be pressured to
line up behind them. Until that happens, smaller projects like mine
will either a) not support annotation interop (because there's no
good, obvious solution), or b) pick an interop scheme at random
(again, because there's no good, obvious solution).

Thanks,
Collin Winter