[Python-ideas] PEP 3107 Function Annotations: interoperability (again)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 2 01:40:33 CET 2007

Well, it's your PEP, isn't it? Just submit a change to the PEP editor.

If it were me, any suggestion of how annotations could/should be used
should be stricken from the PEP, including the example

  def foo(a: int, b: dict, c: int = 5):

The only place where an example like this could be mentioned would be
a motivational section which could suffice by referring to Collin's
existing type annotation library and explaining how it could be made
more elegant by attaching the types directly to the arguments. The
interop issue needn't be mentioned -- I imagine it's not easy to
ensure interop between something like Collin's current library and
some other library that makes extensive use of decorators, either.

A later PEP, based on actual experience, could propose an interop
convention to be used by frameworks that expect to be needing it. To
me the current fuss about interop sounds like over-analyzing the
situation based on zero data points. Remember YAGNI.

--Guido