[Python-ideas] PEP for executing a module in a package containing relative imports

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 07:10:16 CEST 2007

On 4/21/07, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On 4/21/07, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:
> >
> > After reading other posts in the thread, I'm going to put my support
> > into the sys.main variant.  It has all of the benefits of the builtin __name__
> > == __main__, with none of the drawbacks (no builtin!), and only a slight
> > annoyance of 'import sys', which is more or less free.
>
> Yeah, I am starting to like it as well.  Steven and Jim, what do you think?

Note that the one benefit the sys.main-only variant doesn't have is
the lower cognitive load of just having to know about __main__,
instead of having to know about __name__, import and sys.main.

That said, since the PEP as it stands introduces a sys.main anyway, we
might as well start with that.  People can then play around with it
and see if we need to introduce a __main__ module attribute or builtin
as well.

Steve
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy