[Python-Dev] PEP 594 - a proposal for unmaintained modules

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon May 27 11:25:55 EDT 2019

This whole vexing issue isn't going to be solved with any simple fix. A
tool that could identify upcoming trouble spots might or might not be
helpful.

Or perhaps it could be implemented as a __future__ feature, so that those
who choose not to use it during development see no change.

The primary effect of the import would be to put the import system into
"PEP-594 advice mode," where any imports of potentially troublesome modules
would at least give assiduous developers some idea of how much trouble to
expect by emitting warnings (unless explicitly silenced).

Even though only intended for development, it would inevitably make its way
into production code, so there would still be plenty of room for
bikeshedding about that ;-).