[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue May 21 13:42:20 EDT 2019

On 5/21/2019 10:12 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I still like http.server for quick temporary hacks where I want to be
> able to point a browser at some code I wrote 5 minutes ago and that I
> plan to discard in an hour. Usually it's running at localhost:8000.
> Remembering how to use Django, flask or Tornado seems overkill for
> that purpose.

After maintaining my own version of http.server to fix or workaround
some of its deficiencies for some years, I discovered bottle.py. It has
far more capability, is far better documented, and is just as quick to
deploy. While I haven't yet converted all past projects to use
bottle.py, it will likely happen in time, unless something even simpler
to use is discovered, although I can hardly imagine that happening.

I agree that Django, flask, and Tornado have bigger learning curves, due
to having their own philosophies on how things should be done... I
looked at each on my way to finding bottle.py, and in each case decided
their philosophies, while probably useful to people that like or need
the capabilities offered, were excessive to learn if the capabilities
were not needed.

Providing http.server as an included battery is a disservice to novice
users, because they might try to use it for something real.