[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

Edwin Zimmerman edwin at 211mainstreet.net
Tue May 21 13:13:30 EDT 2019

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 12:30 PM Glenn Linderman wrote

On 5/20/2019 2:20 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
On 20/05/2019 23.12, Andrew Svetlov wrote:
socketserver.py is also questionable
I briefly though about the module, but didn't consider it for removal. The http.server, xmlrpc.server, and logging configuration
server are implemented on top of the socketserver. I don't want to remove the socketserver module without a suitable replacement for
http.server in the standard library.

But http.server could be on the remove list too... it gets mighty little support, has very little functionality, and implements a
CGI interface (although that also has very little functionality), and you have the CGI tools on the remove list, rendering the CGI
interface implemented by http.server less easily usable.

Further, it doesn't directly support https:, and browsers are removing/reducing support for http:.
All the same, I’d hate to see http.server leave.  It’s doubtful that anyone uses the thing for a production server, but I use it
all the time for low-volume development stuff on Windows.