[Python-Dev] Strange umask(?)/st_mode issue

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Fri Mar 29 22:30:37 EDT 2019

On 29Mar.2019 1731, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> That does sound strange.

Oh good, it's not just me :)

> How easily can you reproduce it? That majorly
> effects how I would try to debug something like this...

No idea. Looking at the builds on Pipelines again, it seems that all the
builds since about 10am PDT have been failing, so perhaps they rolled
out something that changed how umask works? I don't have any idea
whether that's possible though.

> If you're able to get an strace of a failed run then that would probably
> tell us a *lot*.

I'll need help with that :) But if it's just commands in the
.azure-pipelines/posix-steps.yml file then sending a PR with them added
should do it.

Though given there seems to be a clear start time and no relevant
change, I'm inclined to report it to the Pipelines team (which I already
have) and see what they say. Normally my internal CPython builds catch
issues in the hosted VMs before they reach public accounts, but this may
have been a hotfix for some other issue.

Cheers,
Steve