[Python-Dev] PEP 581: Using GitHub Issues for CPython

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:01:55 EST 2019

> I'd like to formally present to Python-dev PEP 581: Using GitHub Issues for CPython
>
> Full text: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0581/

Thanks for doing this. I think there is a pretty strong argument to be
made that mature, widely adopted systems like GitHub (or GitLab or
Bitbucket) should be used where possible. One thing I didn't notice
was any sort of explanation about how CPython wound up on Roundup to
begin with. I think it would be worthwhile to mention a couple
reasons, when the decision was made to use Roundup, etc. Without it, a
casual reader might think the core devs made a horrible mistake way
back when, and are only now getting around to correcting it. I don't
recall when Roundup was adopted, but it was quite awhile ago, and the
issue tracker universe was a much different place. Here are a couple
things I recall (perhaps incorrectly). It's been awhile, but for the
digital spelunkers, I'm sure it's all in an email archive somewhere.
(I didn't find a PEP. Did that decision predate PEPs?)

* Back in the olden days, basically every candidate issue tracker
required modification to make it suitable for a particular project. I
don't rightly recall if Roundup was deemed easier to modify or if
there were just people willing to step up and make the necessary
changes.

* There was a desire to eat your own dog food, and I believe Roundup
is/was written in Python. That would be much less important today.
Plenty of people already eat Python brand Dog Food.™

Skip