[Python-Dev] Use C extensions compiled in release mode on a Python compiled in debug mode

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 06:53:23 EDT 2019

Le jeu. 25 avr. 2019 à 09:30, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> a écrit :
> the purpose of python-config here is not clear. Whether it's intended to be used
> for linking extensions, or embedded interpreters. Currently you are using the
> same for both use cases.

My PR 12946 removes libpython from distutils, python-config and
python-config.py:
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/12946

Do you mean that this change will break the build of applications
embedding Python? If yes, what can done to fix that?

Provide a different script to the specific case of embedded Python? Or
add a new option to specify that you are embedding Python?

In Python 3.7, the required linker flag is "-lpython3.7m". It's not
trivial to guess the "m" suffix. FYI Python 3.8 it becames just
"-lpython3.8": I removed the "m" suffix which was useless.

Victor