[Python-Dev] PEP 590 discussion

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Thu Apr 25 05:12:18 EDT 2019

On 2019-04-25 00:24, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> PEP 590 defines a new simple/fast protocol for its users, and instead of
> making existing complexity faster and easier to use, it's left to be
> deprecated/phased out (or kept in existing classes for backwards
> compatibility). It makes it possible for future code to be faster/simpler.

Can you elaborate on what you mean with this deprecating/phasing out?

What's your view on dealing with method classes (not necessarily right
now, but in the future)? Do you think that having separate method
classes like method-wrapper (for example [].__add__) is good or bad?

Since the way how PEP 580 and PEP 590 deal with bound method classes is
very different, I would like to know the roadmap for this.

Jeroen.