[Python-Dev] PEP 580/590 discussion

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 18:24:15 EDT 2019

So, I spent another day pondering the PEPs.

I love PEP 590's simplicity and PEP 580's extensibility. As I hinted
before, I hope they can they be combined, and I believe we can achieve
that by having PEP 590's (o+offset) point not just to function pointer,
but to a {function pointer; flags} struct with flags defined for two
optimizations:
- "Method-like", i.e. compatible with LOAD_METHOD/CALL_METHOD.
- "Argument offsetting request", allowing PEP 590's
PY_VECTORCALL_ARGUMENTS_OFFSET optimization.

This would mean one basic call signature (today's METH_FASTCALL |
METH_KEYWORD), with individual optimizations available if both the
caller and callee support them.

In case you want to know my thoughts or details, let me indulge in some
detailed comparisons and commentary that led to this.
I also give a more detailed proposal below.
Keep in mind I wrote this before I distilled it to the paragraph above,
and though the distillation is written as a diff to PEP 590, I still
think of this as merging both PEPs.

PEP 580 tries hard to work with existing call conventions (like METH_O,
METH_VARARGS), making them fast.
PEP 590 just defines a new convention. Basically, any callable that
wants performance improvements must switch to METH_VECTORCALL (fastcall).
I believe PEP 590's approach is OK. To stay as performant as possible, C
extension authors will need to adapt their code regularly. If they
don't, no harm -- the code will still work as before, and will still be
about as fast as it was before.
In exchange for this, Python (and Cython, etc.) can focus on optimizing
one calling convention, rather than a variety, each with its own
advantages and drawbacks.

Extending PEP 580 to support a new calling convention will involve
defining a new CCALL_* constant, and adding to existing dispatch code.
Extending PEP 590 to support a new calling convention will most likely
require a new type flag, and either changing the vectorcall semantics or
adding a new pointer.
To be a bit more concrete, I think of possible extensions to PEP 590 as
things like:
- Accepting a kwarg dict directly, without copying the items to
tuple/array (as in PEP 580's CCALL_VARARGS|CCALL_KEYWORDS)
- Prepending more than one positional argument, or appending positional
arguments
- When an optimization like LOAD_METHOD/CALL_METHOD turns out to no
longer be relevant, removing it to simplify/speed up code.
I expect we'll later find out that something along these lines might
improve performance. PEP 590 would make it hard to experiment.

I mentally split PEP 590 into two pieces: formalizing fastcall, plus one
major "extension" -- making bound methods fast.
When seen this way, this "extension" is quite heavy: it adds an
additional type flag, Py_TPFLAGS_METHOD_DESCRIPTOR, and uses a bit in
the "Py_ssize_t nargs" argument as additional flag. Both type flags and
nargs bits are very limited resources. If I was sure vectorcall is the
final best implementation we'll have, I'd go and approve it – but I
think we still need room for experimentation, in the form of more such
extensions.
PEP 580, with its collection of per-instance data and flags, is
definitely more extensible. What I don't like about it is that it has
the extensions built-in; mandatory for all callers/callees.

PEP 580 adds a common data struct to callable instances. Currently these
are all data bound methods want to use (cc_flags, cc_func, cc_parent,
cr_self). Various flags are consulted in order to deliver the needed
info to the underlying function.
PEP 590 lets the callable object store data it needs independently. It
provides a clever mechanism for pre-allocating space for bound methods'
prepended "self" argument, so data can be provided cheaply, though it's
still done by the callable itself.
Callables that would need to e.g. prepend more than one argument won't
be able to use this mechanism, but y'all convinced me that is not worth
optimizing for.

PEP 580's goal seems to be that making a callable behave like a Python
function/method is just a matter of the right set of flags. Jeroen
called this "complexity in the protocol".
PEP 590, on the other hand, leaves much to individual callable types.
This is "complexity in the users of the protocol".
I now don't see a problem with PEP 590's approach. Not all users will
need the complexity. We need to give CPython and Cython the tools to
make implementing "def"-like functions possible (and fast), but if other
extensions need to match the behavior of Python functions, they should
just use Cython. Emulating Python functions is a special-enough use case
that it doesn't justify complicating the protocol, and the same goes for
implementing Python's built-in functions (with all their historical
baggage).

My more full proposal for a compromise between PEP 580 and 590 would go
something like below.

The type flag (Py_TPFLAGS_HAVE_VECTORCALL/Py_TPFLAGS_HAVE_CCALL) and
offset (tp_vectorcall_offset/tp_ccalloffset; in tp_print's place) stay.

The offset identifies a per-instance structure with two fields:
- Function pointer (with the vectorcall signature)
- Flags
Storing any other per-instance data (like PEP 580's cr_self/cc_parent)
is the responsibility of each callable type.

Two flags are defined initially:
1. "Method-like" (like Py_TPFLAGS_METHOD_DESCRIPTOR in PEP 580, or
non-NULL cr_self in PEP 580). Having the flag here instead of a type
flag will prevent tp_call-only callables from taking advantage of
LOAD_METHOD/CALL_METHOD optimisation, but I think that's OK.

2. Request to reserve space for one argument before the args array, as
in PEP 590's argument offsetting. If the flag is missing, nargs may not
include PY_VECTORCALL_ARGUMENTS_OFFSET. A mechanism incompatible with
offsetting may use the bit for another purpose.

Both flags may be simply ignored by the caller (or not be set by the
callee in the first place), reverting to a more straightforward (but
less performant) code path. This should also be the case for any flags
added in the future.
Note how without these flags, the protocol (and its documentation) will
be extremely simple.
This mechanism would work with my examples of possible future extensions:
- "kwarg dict": A flag would enable the `kwnames` argument to be a dict
instead of a tuple.
- prepending/appending several positional arguments: The callable's
request for how much space to allocate stored right after the {func;
flags} struct. As in argument offsetting, a bit in nargs would indicate
that the request was honored. (If this was made incompatible with
one-arg offsetting, it could reuse the bit.)
- removing an optimization: CPython would simply stop using an
optimizations (but not remove the flag). Extensions could continue to
use the optimization between themselves.

As in PEP 590, any class that uses this mechanism shall not be usable as
a base class. This will simplify implementation and tests, but hopefully
the limitation will be removed in the future. (Maybe even in the initial
implementation.)

The METH_VECTORCALL (aka CCALL_FASTCALL|CCALL_KEYWORDS) calling
convention is added to the public API. The other calling conventions
(PEP 580's CCALL_O, CCALL_NOARGS, CCALL_VARARGS, CCALL_KEYWORDS,
CCALL_FASTCALL, CCALL_DEFARG) as well as argument type checking
(CCALL_OBJCLASS) and self slicing (CCALL_SELFARG) are left up to the
callable.

No equivalent of PEP 580's restrictions on the __name__ attribute. In my
opinion, the PyEval_GetFuncName function should just be deprecated in
favor of getting the __name__ attribute and checking if it's a string.
It would be possible to add a public helper that returns a proper
reference, but that doesn't seem worth it. Either way, I consider this
out of scope of this PEP.

No equivalent of PEP 580's PyCCall_GenericGetParent and
PyCCall_GenericGetQualname either -- again, if needed, they should be
retrieved as normal attributes. As I see it, the operation doesn't need
to be particularly fast.

No equivalent of PEP 580's PyCCall_Call, and no support for dict in
PyCCall_FastCall's kwds argument. To be fast, extensions should avoid
passing kwargs in a dict. Let's see how far that takes us. (FWIW, this
also avoids subtle issues with dict mutability.)

Profiling stays as in PEP 580: only exact function types generate the
events.

As in PEP 580, PyCFunction_GetFlags and PyCFunction_GET_FLAGS are deprecated

As in PEP 580, nothing is added to the stable ABI

Does that sound reasonable?