[Python-Dev] Adding shlex.join?

Paul Ganssle paul at ganssle.io
Wed Apr 17 11:44:52 EDT 2019

Hey all,

I've been reviewing old "awaiting review" PRs recently, and about a week
ago I found PR #7605 <https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/7605>,
adding shlex.join(), with a corresponding bug at bpo-22454
<https://bugs.python.org/issue22454>. The PR's implementation is simple
and seems reasonable and decently well-tested, but it has been
unreviewed for ~10 months.

The reason I'm bringing it up here is that I believe the major blocker
here is getting agreement to actually add the function. There doesn't
seem to be much /opposition/ in the BPO issue, but given how
infrequently the shlex module is changed I'm worried that there may be
no one around who feels confident to judge how the interface should evolve.

Does anyone feel strongly about this issue? Is there anyone who wants to
make a yes/no decision on this feature?

Best,
Paul

P.S. The PR's submitter seems responsive. I made a comment on the
documentation and it was addressed in something like 5 minutes.