[Python-Dev] Cannot find documented API in PEP-376 (Database of Installed Python Distributions)

Stefano Borini stefano.borini at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 17:32:24 EDT 2019

Hello,

I am on a PEP scouting effort to check the current status of python
packaging and its historical context, mostly for learning purposes. I
noted that the PEP defines some functions for pkgutil (e.g.
get_distributions), but I cannot find them.
I tried to do some searching on the mailing list history, but I came
up with pretty much nothing of value. It appears that the topic was
last considered in 2009 (the year of the PEP). dist-info was then
implemented, but I cannot find any information about the missing API,
nor any additional PEP, except for a brief reference in PEP-427.

Does anyone have some context for this?

I understand it was 10 years ago, so it's mostly a curiosity. Thanks.

--
Kind regards,

Stefano Borini