[Python-Dev] SEC: Spectre variant 2: GCC: -mindirect-branch=thunk -mindirect-branch-register

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Sep 17 16:13:37 EDT 2018

Hi Wes,

It's great you're passionate about python security, but this is the wrong
way to go about it. Spectre is inherently super subtle and confusing, so if
there's something that people need to do, then we need a clear,
comprehensive write-up of what the threat is and how to address it. Perhaps
you could find some collaborators with expertise in these things and work
with them off-list to put something like that together – that could be
quite helpful.

What isn't helpful is what you've been doing instead: sending incoherent
jumbles of vaguely-related text, to multiple highly-subscribed mailing
lists, multiple times a day, for a week now. This is worse than useless.
Please stop.

-n