[Python-Dev] wininst-*.exe files in Lib/distutils/command

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:07:13 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I am looking into an issue associated with the wininst-*.exe files in the
distutils/command subdirectory. It looks like these are the executable
stubs used to create self-extracting zips for installation - but I am not
100% sure. It also looks like they include the calls to standard Windows
functions to display the installer window.

I have a couple questions I need help with:
1) Am I correct about the function, and if not, what are they?
2) Where did these come from, and where is their source code?

Thanks,
Van