[Python-Dev] Arbitrary non-identifier string keys when using **kwargs

Jeff Allen ja.py at farowl.co.uk
Sun Oct 14 14:51:02 EDT 2018

On 10/10/2018 00:06, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 09:37:48AM -0700, Jeff Hardy wrote:

>>  From an alternative implementation point of view, CPython's behaviour
>> *is* the spec. Practicality beats purity and all that.
> Are you speaking on behalf of all authors of alternate implementations,
> or even of some of them?
>
> It certainly is not true that CPython's behaviour "is" the spec. PyPy
> keeps a list of CPython behaviour they don't match, either because they
> choose not to for other reasons, or because they believe that the
> CPython behaviour is buggy. I daresay IronPython and Jython have
> similar.
While agreeing with the principle, unless it is one of the fundamental
differences (GC, GIL), Jython usually lets practicality beat purity.
When faced with a certain combination of objects, one has to do
something, and it is least surprising to do what CPython does. It's also
easier than keeping a record.

Rarely, we manage to exceed CPython (in consistency or coverage) by a
tiny amount.

Jeff Allen