[Python-Dev] dear core-devs

Erik Bray erik.m.bray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 05:55:51 EDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 6:41 PM Simon Cross
<hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any core devs that Michael or Erik could collaborate with?
> Rather than rely on adhoc patch review from random core developers.
>
> Michael and Eric: Question -- are you interested in becoming core
> developers at least for the purposes of maintaining these platforms in
> future?

I would be for the purposes of said platform maintenance.  I believe I
already have some maintainer permissions on bpo for exactly this
reason.

That said, while I'm sure it would help, I'm not exactly sure what it
would solve either.  I believe strongly in code review, and just
having a "core developer" status does not necessarily free one from
responsibility for obtaining code review.

It also partly depends on the issue.  If it's a change that touches
other parts of the code in ways that could impact it beyond the narrow
scope of platform support, I believe it definitely should get a second
pair of eyes.  Unfortunately many of the outstanding patches I have
for review fall in that category.  Though in the future there will be
fewer like that.  The majority of work needed for Cygwin, at least, is
tweaking some areas of the tests that make assumptions that don't
necessarily hold on that platform.*

Thanks,

* For example, there are some tests that assume there is a user with
UID 0.  While UID 0 is reserved for a "superuser", I don't know that
there's any requirement that such a user *must* exist (on Cygwin it
does not :)