[Python-Dev] Standard library vs Standard distribution?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Nov 29 16:08:35 EST 2018

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:11 AM Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:
> You are assuming that you can convince or force upstream developers to
> change their project and development style. Speaking from personal
> experience, that is even unrealistic for projects that are already
> developed and promoted by officially acknowledged and PSF approved
> Python authorities.
>
> The owners and developers of these projects set their own terms and
> don't follow the same rigorous CI, backwards compatibility and security
> policies as Python core. You can't force projects to work differently.

Python core does an excellent job at CI, backcompat, security, etc.,
and everyone who works to make that happen should be proud.

But... I think we should be careful not to frame this as Python core
just having higher standards than everyone else. For some projects
that's probably true. But for the major projects where I have some
knowledge of the development process -- like requests, urllib3, numpy,
pip, setuptools, cryptography -- the main blocker to putting them in
the stdlib is that the maintainers don't think a stdlibized version
could meet their quality standards.

-n