[Python-Dev] Get a running instance of the doc for a PR.

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Sun Nov 4 10:34:23 EST 2018

On 04Nov2018 0718, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 2:11 AM Julien Palard via Python-Dev
> <python-dev at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> Considering feedback from Ned, what about building this as an independent service? We don't really need to interface with python.org at all, we just need some hardware, a domain, some code to interface with github API and... to start it's probably enough? It would be a usefull POC.
>>

> After running 'make html', the build directory is the entire site as a
> set of static files, right? Maybe the easiest solution is to tie in
> with GitHub Pages. I already have a script that will push a directory
> up as the gh-pages branch of the current repo; it'd just need a tweak
> so it can push to a specific repo, which you could create on GitHub
> for the purpose. Not 100% automatic, but also not too difficult to
> automate, if needed.

I can trivially attach the built docs as a ZIP file to the Azure
Pipelines build, though that doesn't help the "preview on my phone"
scenario (unless your phone can extract and then open a directory of
HTML files? Mine can't)

But that's also easy enough to tie into a second step to deploy the
files practically anywhere. Pushing them to a git repo based on the PR
name is easy, and presumably it can be a single repo with directories
for different PRs? It might need a separate job to periodically clean it
up, but this seems very doable.

Cheers,
Steve