[Python-Dev] [python-committers] FINAL WEEK FOR 3.7.0 CHANGES!

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Fri May 18 03:55:14 EDT 2018

17.05.18 21:39, Brett Cannon пише:
> Maybe we should start thinking about flagging PRs or issues as needing
> a What's New entry to help track when they need one, or always expect
> it in a PR and ignore that requirement when a 'skip whats new' label
> is applied. That would at least make it easier to keep track of what
> needs to be done.

The requirement of flagging PRs or issues as needing a What's New entry
doesn't differ in principle from the requirement of creating a What's
New entry for these changes. The latter is good, and I'm trying always
create a What's New entry for significant enhancement or potentially
breaking change. And even I sometimes is unsure and don't document some
important changes (like in issue30399). Needed a look of yet one pair of
eyes.

As for requiring a What's New entry by default and introducing a 'skip
whats new' label, I suppose this will add much nuisance. Most PRs
(except docs and tests changes) need a news entry, but most PRs don't
need a What's New entry because their are bug fixes. Therefore a 'skip
whats new' label will be required much more times than 'skip news' or
'skip issue' labels.

A thing that can help is a tool that makes a structural diff between
NEWS files for different versions and between different branches. It
will filter out bugfix changes. The simple 'diff' is not well
appropriate because entries can be in different order, and news entries
now are scattered between several files, and news entries for previous
version sometimes should be searched in different files, and sometimes
should be searched on a different branch. The text of entries in
different versions can also be different because the same issue can
change the behavior on the master and backport the part of changes as a
bugfix.