[Python-Dev] Benchmarks why we need PEP 576/579/580

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Sun Jul 22 16:11:25 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-22 14:52, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Someone has to maintain the *existing* code
> base and help newcomers to get into it and understand it.

This is an important point that people seem to be overlooking. The
complexity and maintenance burden of PEP 580 should be compared to the
status-quo. The existing code is complicated, yet nobody seems to find
that a problem. But when PEP 580 makes changes to that complicated code
(and documents some of the existing complexity), it's suddenly the fault
of PEP 580 that the code is complicated.

I also wonder if there is a psychological difference simply because this
is a PEP and not an issue on bugs.python.org. That might give the
impression that it's a more serious thing somehow. Previous
optimizations (https://bugs.python.org/issue26110 for example) were not
done in a PEP and nobody ever mentioned that the extra complexity might
be a problem.

Finally, in some ways, my PEP would actually be a simplification because
it replaces several special cases by one general protocol. Admittedly,
the general protocol that I propose is more complicated than each
existing special case individually but the overall complexity might
actually decrease.

Jeroen.