[Python-Dev] Const access to CPython objects outside of GIL?

Radim Řehůřek radim at rare-technologies.com
Wed Jul 18 06:18:06 EDT 2018

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Given the overwhelmingly negative
response, we'll drop this line of investigation.

If more people bring up the same request in the future (unlikely), feel
free to reach out to us for some extra set of hands. Given the initial
poking, I still think a "reasonable subset" might be "reasonably easy";
IMHO more a process/maintenance/ROI question than a strictly technical one.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:09 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note:  the kind of people who find the GIL extremely intrusive tend
> instead to work on ways to eliminate the GIL entirely.  They typically give
> up after a few years of intense pain ;-)

If you mean "writing an alternative Python interpreter", that's not of any
interest. If you mean "eliminating GIL from mission-critical parts of the
code" -- we've done that many times, with good success and only moderate
pain. The current "const" question was a probe about the cost of bringing
the worlds a little closer.

Radim