[Python-Dev] 2to3 for python annotations

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 17 16:34:25 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Jelle Zijlstra <jelle.zijlstra at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> While contributing to pyannotate, I became familiar enough with 2to3
>> fixers to be able to convert Python 2 style annotations to Python 3.
>>
>> Is it something that would be interesting to put into python 2to3 ? If
>> so I would propose a PR for this.
>>
>> There already a tool that does this: https://github.com/
> ilevkivskyi/com2ann.

IIRC that tool so far only converts variable declarations with `# type:`
comments to PEP 526 style. Doing function signatures too seems on the TODO
list:
https://github.com/ilevkivskyi/com2ann/issues/3

> I am not sure it would be appropriate for 2to3. Type comments still work
> in Python 3, and I feel like 2to3 should do the minimum necessary to get
> working code in Python 3.

I think as an optional fixer it would be a fine contribution.

Also I apologize for not yet reviewing
https://github.com/dropbox/pyannotate/pull/74 (which I presume is yours?).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)