[Python-Dev] Removal of install_misc command from distutils

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Fri Jul 6 20:25:14 EDT 2018

On Jul 6, 2018, at 19:43, Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Honestly, I did not realize that 3.7 has been released by the time I wrote my e-mail.

So I guess I didn't send out enough notices since January about each of the 5 betas and the release candidate begging everyone to test with the 3.7 pre-releases to find and discuss potentially avoidable incompatibilities? :)

> I think it will be prudent to get this command back in Python 3.7.1.  My work-around was to simply copy the 20-something lines that define install_misc from Python 3.6 to my setup.py file.
>
> It was my impression that it is precisely due to situations like this, distutils was considered more or less frozen for development and all new features went to setuptools.

If you want to pursue it, I think the best thing to do would be to bring up the issue on the distutils-sig mailing list where the change probably should have been discussed first if it wasn't and also reopen https://bugs.python.org/issue29218.  AFAIK, the removal hasn't come up as a problem before in the nearly 18 months since the change was first merged into the feature branch.

--
  Ned Deily
  nad at python.org -- []