[Python-Dev] Comparing PEP 576 and PEP 580

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Fri Jul 6 05:50:06 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-05 21:57, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Would it be possible to get outside experts to help?

I don't understand what you mean: to help with what? Designing the PEP?
Discussing the PEP? Accepting the PEP? Lobbying Python core devs?

The Cython developers (in particular Stefan Behnel) certainly support my
work. I have talked with them in person at a workshop and they posted a
few emails to python-dev and they also gave me some personal comments
about PEP 580.

As for NumPy, one obvious place where some ideas of PEP 579 could be
applied is ufuncs. However, typically ufuncs are not *called* in tight
loops, they implement tight loops internally. So I don't think that
there is pressing need for anything like PEP 580 in NumPy.

Jeroen.