[Python-Dev] Guido's Python 1.0.0 Announcement from 27 Jan 1994

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 20:10:31 EST 2018

We probably should (if possible) create an archive (with dates) of
very old (or all, actually) versions of CPython, analogous to what The
Unix Heritage Society does for V5, V7, etc., but for CPython...

Or is there one already?  I found a bunch of 1.x's, but no 0.x's.
What I found was at http://legacy.python.org/download/releases/src/

I realize modern OS's and C compilers won't cope with them anymore,
and there'll be some security holes so you wouldn't use them in
production, but it'd be an interesting history lesson to set up a
matching set for the various releases using virtualboxes or something.

I've been getting some mileage, actually, out of:
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/cpythons/trunk/  (build cpythons 2.4
and up, and stash them each in /usr/local/cpython-*)
...and:
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/pythons/trunk/  (run python code on
a variety of interpreters to test for compatibility, including a bunch
of CPythons, some pypys, jython, micropython, hopefully more someday,
like maybe nuitka)

It'd be kind of cool to add an authenticated way of running python
commands on a remote host to check even older versions.

I tried to get "cpythons" to build cpython 2.3 on a modern Linux, but
it didn't appear practical.  But 2.4 and up have been working well.