[Python-Dev] Deprecate PEP 370 Per user site-packages directory?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jan 13 21:28:16 EST 2018

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018, 17:27 Alex Walters, <tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:

> I would suggest throwing this to -ideas, rather than just keeping it in
> -dev
> as there is a much wider community of users and usecases in -ideas.
>
> ... and -ideas will shoot it down because user installs are too useful.  It
> is also my understanding that it is the desire of PyPA to eventually have
> pip default to --user when run outside of a virtualenv (to mitigate people
> running sudo pip).  Eliminating user installs would change the situation
> from one where, with pip install --user, one can recoverably break their
> system to one, with sudo pip install, one can un-recoverably break their
> system.

Which suggests that doing away with user installs would mean making it so
interpreter installs don't break your system, which would require Linux and
distros and macOS to not publicly expose their system Python installs so
people can't accidentally break them. I think if that were to occur then
you could consider dropping user installs as people would be installing
into their own interpreter. But until then I think the attraction/lack of
knowledge for people will be high enough that user installs will be the
most pragmatic solution we have.

-Brett