[Python-Dev] Python 3.7: Require OpenSSL >=1.0.2 / LibreSSL >= 2.5.3

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sat Jan 13 17:45:07 EST 2018

On 2018-01-13 21:02, Brett Cannon wrote:
> +1 from me as well for the improved security.

Thanks, Brett!

How should we handle CPython's Travis CI tests? The 14.04 boxes have
OpenSSL 1.0.1. To the best of my knowledge, Travis doesn't offer 16.04.
We could either move to container-based testing with a 16.04 container,
which would give us 1.0.2 Or we could compile our own copy of OpenSSL
with my multissl builder and use some rpath magic.

In order to test all new features, Ubuntu doesn't cut it. Even current
snapshot of Ubuntu doesn't contain OpenSSL 1.1. Debian Stretch or Fedora
would do the trick, though.

Maybe Barry's work on official test container could leveraged testing?

Regards,
Christian