[Python-Dev] How is the GitHub workflow working for people?

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Wed Feb 21 23:16:47 EST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018, at 13:22, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 at 09:30 Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> FWIW I'm extremely happy with the current workflow. The recent
> >> improvements to @miss-islington (kudos to Mariatta!) allowing her to
> >> auto-backport PRs and commit them is a big time saver.
> >>
> >> I can only suggest a couple improvements:
> >>
> >> 1. Make our bots check the code style—fully enforce PEP 8, lint the
> >> code, and detect trailing whitespace on all lines that a PR modifies.
> >>

> > Guido said "no" to this from the outset.
> >

> I'm willing to reconsider if there's a good enough tool. Ditto for C code
> (or do we already do it for C?).

The C/C++ world has very good tooling for formating in the form of clang-format. If someone made a clang-format configuration file close to the current PEP 7 guide and existing code, I would support running it over the entire codbase and enforcing formatting in CI. Massive reformatings of CPython C have actually already uneventfully happened: several years ago Antoine removed all tabs from C sources.