[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 EOL date

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Sat Aug 25 14:50:33 EDT 2018

I was operating under the optimistic assumption whatever the precise time of 2.7's official demise would only be an amusing piece of trivia for a world of happy Python 3 users.

It's still to early to promise exact release dates; that will depend on the day-to-day schedules of the release manager and binary builders circa January 2020. A conservative assumption is that no 2.7 changes that land after December 31 2019 will ever be released.

We could make the last release of 2.7 in July 2020. But what does that buy anyone?