[Python-Dev] PEP 552: deterministic pycs

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 7 22:13:06 EDT 2017

On Sep 7, 2017, at 16:58, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:

> Input from OS package distributors would be interesting.  Would they use this?

I suspect it won’t be that interesting to the Debian ecosystem, since we generate pyc files on package install.  We do that because we can support multiple versions of Python installed simultaneously and we don’t know which versions are installed on the target machine.  I suppose our stdlib package could ship pycs, but we don’t.

Reproducible builds may still be interesting in other situations though, such as CI machines, but then SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is probably good enough.

-Barry