[Python-Dev] Guarantee ordered dict literals in v3.7?

Paul G paul at ganssle.io
Sun Nov 5 13:57:19 EST 2017

> Scientific applications want something like
>
>    {'a': 10, 'b': "foo", 'c': {'this': b'123'}}
>
> as an ordered initializer for unboxed or typed (or both) data. In general,
> if dicts are ordered, they can be used for example as initializers for
> (nested) C structs.

I can understand why you'd want an ordered container, I just don't see why it must be a dict. Why can't it be:

    OrderedDict(a=10, b='foo', c=OrderedDict(this=b'123'))

Is it just that you don't want to type OrderedDict that many times? If it's so important to provide ordered dictionary literals, I would think it's a no-brainer to give them their own literal syntax (rather than re-defining dicts to have guaranteed order). e.g.:

    o{'a': 10, 'b': 'foo', 'c': o{'this': b'123'}

Then there is no backwards incompatibility problem and users can express whether order does or does not matter to them when initializing a container.