[Python-Dev] PEP 544: Protocols - second round

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed May 31 18:10:23 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Ivan Levkivskyi <levkivskyi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 31 May 2017 at 00:58, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Thank you for very detailed answers! I have practically nothing to add.
> It seems to me that most of the Kevin's questions stem from unnecessary
> focus
> on runtime type checking. Here are two ideas about how to fix this:
>
> * Add the word "static" somewhere in the PEP title.

So the title could become "Protocols: Static structural subtyping (duck
typing)" -- long, but not record-setting.

* Add a short note at the start mentioning this is an extension of the type
> system proposed in PEP 484 and recommending to read PEP 484 first.

Hm, the Abstract already spells that out. I suspect that many people react
to the discussion without first reading the PEP itself (I do this myself
:-). The only thing that could possibly be confusing about the abstract is
that it claims to specify "static and runtime semantics" -- but that's
reasonable, since the runtime semantics must somehow be specified even if
they're minimal.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido <http://python.org/%7Eguido>)