[Python-Dev] RFC: Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7

Jim Baker jim.baker at python.org
Wed May 31 11:45:39 EDT 2017

Jython 2.7.1 is about to be released, with full support of upstream pip
(9.0.1), and corresponding vendored libraries, including requests.

However, this proposed new feature for CPython 2.7, and its usage, will
likely break pip on Jython 2.7.x going forward, given that future versions
of pip will depend on requests requiring MemoryBIO. Or am I wrong in this
analysis? This means we have to get back on the 2.7 development treadmill
just as we were about to focus on finally working on Jython 3 (
https://github.com/jython/jython3 previews this work).

Given that this proposed new feature is for 2.7 to support event loop usage
and not a security fix, I'm -1 on this change. In particular, it runs
counter to the justification policy stated in PEP 466.

- Jim