[Python-Dev] Snap Python for simple distribution across multiple Linux distros

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue May 23 11:27:02 EDT 2017

On Mon, 22 May 2017 23:56:43 +0000
Matt Billenstein <matt at vazor.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:31:42AM +0100, Martin Wimpress wrote:
> > Is there someone here who'd be interested in doing the same for Python?
>
> Do snaps support Windows and/or MacOS?

If you want a package manager that supports installing binaries on
Linux, Windows and MacOS, I suggest you try out conda:
https://conda.io/docs/
Building conda packages uses a tool named conda-build (both are open
source):
https://conda.io/docs/building/recipe.html

Conda powers the Anaconda software distribution, published by Continuum
Analytics.  Many conda-build recipes are available publicly:
https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-recipes
For example here is the conda-build recipe for Python 3.6.1:
https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-recipes/blob/master/python-3.6/meta.yaml
There are also a growing number of community-maintained
recipes and packages:
https://conda-forge.github.io/

Disclaimer: I work for Continuum (though not on Conda nor
Anaconda).

Regards

Antoine.