[Python-Dev] PEP 538: Coercing the legacy C locale to a UTF-8 based locale

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 5 06:34:33 EDT 2017

On 5 May 2017 at 19:45, Erik Bray <erik.m.bray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> If we want to adopt PEP 538 before pronouncing on PEP 540, then PEP 538
>> should remove all points conditional on PEP 540 adoption, and PEP 540
>> should later be changed to adopt those removed points as PEP
>> 540-specific changes.
>
> This is kind of an aside, but regardless of the dependency
> relationship between PEP 538 and 540, given that they kind of go
> hand-in-hand would it make sense to rename them--e.g. have PEP 539 and
> PEP 540 trade places, since PEP 539 has nothing to do with this and is
> awkwardly nestled between them.  Or would that only confuse matters at
> this point?

While we have renumbered PEPs in the past, it was only in cases where
the PEPs were relatively new, so there weren't many discussions
referencing them under their existing numbers.

In this case, both PEP 539 and 540 have already been discussed
extensively, so renumbering them would cause problems without
providing any corresponding benefit (Python's development is
sufficiently high volume that it isn't unusual for related PEPs to
have non-sequential PEP numbers)

Cheers,
Nick.