[Python-Dev] Can we use "designated initializer" widely in coremodules?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue Jan 17 19:59:33 EST 2017

On 01/17/2017 04:48 PM, INADA Naoki wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Larry Hastings<larry at hastings.org>  wrote:
>> While that's a reasonable policy, unless we have a way to automatically
>> detect that I suspect C99 stuff will creep into the header files and break
>> the non-C99 customers.  Maybe we could get some sort of buildbot that
>> exercises this scenario?
>>
> How about `gcc -ansi` ?

That seems like it should work fine.  Perhaps we could even add this gcc
-ansi step to the normal Python build process.  It shouldn't take very
long, so it wouldn't slow down the build very much, and since most
Python development happens on UNIX platforms (I think) this would help
prevent more C99 constructs from creeping into the header files.

//arry/