[Python-Dev] GitHub migration scheduled for Friday

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 8 15:32:24 EST 2017

On 2/8/2017 2:38 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:

> I know that different people have different expectation on GitHub. I
> would like to take the opportunity of migrating to Git to use the
> "author" and "committer" fields. If the author is set to the real
> author, the one who proposed the change on the bug tracker or someone
> else, we will be able to compute statistics on most active
> contributors to more easily detect them and promote them to core
> developers.
>
> What do you think?

Many patches have multiple authors. Does the 'author' field allow that?
   Often, the committer adds missing chunks or rewrites the work with
various degrees of editing.  Sometimes a read a patch for the idea and
then start fresh with the actual code.  An acknowledgement in the news
entry can be written different ways to reflect the situation.

--
Terry Jan Reedy