[Python-Dev] [ssl] The weird case of IDNA

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Dec 31 20:51:47 EST 2017

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:07:01AM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
>> This is another reason why we ought to let users do their own IDNA handling
>> if they want...
>
> I expect that letting users do their own IDNA handling will correspond
> to not doing any IDNA handling at all.

You did see the words "if they want", right? I'm not talking about
removing the stdlib's default IDNA handling, I'm talking about fixing
the cases where the stdlib goes out of its way to prevent users from
overriding its IDNA handling.

And "users" here is a very broad category; it includes libraries like
requests, twisted, trio, ... that are already doing better IDNA
handling than the stdlib, except in cases where the stdlib actively
prevents it.

-n