[Python-Dev] Guarantee ordered dict literals in v3.7?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 03:27:33 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:
> On 18Dec2017 2309, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> [A LOT OF THINGS I AGREE WITH]
> I agree completely with Steven's reasoning here, and it bothers me that
> what is an irrelevant change to many users (dict becoming ordered) seems
> to imply that all users of dict have to be updated.

Can we all take a deep breath and lay off the hyperbole? The only
point under discussion in this subthread is whether pprint -- our
module for producing nicely-formatted-reprs -- should continue to sort
keys, or should continue to provide an accurate repr. There are
reasonable arguments for both positions, but no-one's suggesting
anything in the same solar system as "all users of dict have to be
updated".

Am I missing some underlying nerve that this is hitting for some reason?

-n